As the world now transitions into what we call the Internet of Everything (IoE)—the intelligent connection of people, processes, data, and things – TOUCAN will deliver novel, intelligent ICT infrastructure solutions to address the enormous explosion of data volumes and the wide heterogeneity of network technologies and end devices.
The project sets long-term visions which will transform network infrastructures and service offerings. This will help ensure that the UK maintains its unique world-leading research position in these fields. The TOUCAN intelligent network will be the driver of the next round of ICT innovation, productivity enhancement, and employment.
TOUCAN aims to deliver impact via the following pathways:
1 – Industrial partnerships
Our Industrial partners (Bristol City Council, BROADCOM, BT, ICT KTN, Janet UK, NEC, Plextek, Samsung) will support with the development and exploitation of new technological ideas in practice in the following ways:
- Secondments will provide training and development opportunities and enhance industrial impact.
- Workshops a series of five workshops are planned during the lifetime of the programme to communicate research outcomes to the wider industrial sector.
- Key technology demonstrators via the TOUCAN Lab which will serve as an open ecosystem for broad experimentation between researchers, equipment vendors, service, content providers and users.
2 – Academic engagement workshops and seminars
- Outreach activities & workshops: engaging academic communities outside TOUCAN to explore synergies e.g. engineering mathematics, software engineering, Smart Cities and Smart Health.
- Wider engagement will reach communities that can consume TOUCAN services and demonstrate the benefit of the new technology platform. For example:
3 – Public engagement
TOUCAN will contribute to a number of public engagement events and activities throughout the programme, with the aim being to encourage the interest and engagement of schools, students and young females within electronic engineering.